A super simple yet incredibly zesty kale salad that combines the bright flavors of apples and cranberries with quinoa and sunflower seeds to satisfy your taste buds and hunger alike!
1 bunch Kale
1/2 cup Quinoa
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 small Shallot
Veggie Stock Cube
Red Wine Vinegar
Red Pepper Flakes
Rice Cooker/ Pot
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil with 1/2 of a veggie stock cube. Add the rinsed quinoa and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 5 more minutes before fluffing with a fork. If you’re using a rice cooker (recommended), add 1 1/4 cups of water, 1/2 of a veggie stock cube and 1/2 cup of quinoa.
2. Wash and thoroughly dry the kale and remove it from the stems by holding the stem and pulling the leaves in the opposite direction. Add to the glass bowl and tear the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces. The smaller you tear them the less bitter the kale will be.
3. Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice over the kale. Season the kale with a pinch of Celtic Salt. Massage the kale until tender. Get in there and give it a good squeeze. You want to break down the cell walls of the kale. The best way to know is to taste as it should be a lot less bitter and bright green.
4. Dice the apple, mince 1-2 tbsp of the shallot and add to the bowl with the kale. Add in the dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. In another bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar, 1 tsp honey (for a vegan version, substitute the honey for brown sugar), and a pinch of Celtic Salt and red pepper flakes. Add the cooked quinoa to the kale and drizzle the dressing over the top. Toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. To serve, divide the kale salad between two plates (this makes two generous portions so you can set a little aside for later if you like). Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve!
Prep Ahead: This entire dish can be done in advance and served chilled or at room temperature. It actually gets better as it sits!
Estimated Time: 20 minutes
Leftovers: This meal is actually even better when done in advance so enjoy for lunch the day after cooking!
Are you ready to save time and money with an organized plan, grocery lists + simple healthy recipes for your busy life? Get started for as little as $6 per month* and cancel any time.